// kevin edit // kevin edit // kevin edit

Translate

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

As someone wiser than me once noted: 'New shiz has come to light'..


I have almost never worked on nice paper with different types of charcoal - mostly I am a newsprint ( smooth please) and charcoal pencil figure draw-er - but I am learning some ways to let charcoal be more like a painting.  The result above is my second attempt at this method or manner- About 7 hours over two sittings - 18 x 24 on Strathmore drawing 400.

 This morning, these two "guys" were catching the sunrise just.. so..   and - my easel in the more horizontal shot below with my current graphite figure in 2-value mode.  We'll see where it gets over these next to Saturdays!

5 comments:

Sizun said...

Always a nice day when beginning by a new drawing of yours. Something to think and dream about. Do you use a brush for this particular effect ?

lucrecia said...

It is a figure painting, Kevin...Why I can`t see your photos at the high res?.....Love the sunrise photos!!

Naked One said...

I love the sense of power in your work and think you should make this something of a theme for yourself!

Sandra Heading said...

I love catching the Sun, but come~on 'Pleaseeee those to dudes are Nakeed!!!;-)

Great Block-in, Im learning all that and more and I dig it so....

Andrew said...

I believe the quote was first uttered by Thomas Edison: "Watson, new shiz has come to light." Or maybe it was "Watson, this new light is the shiz."